Whether you’re an owner driver of you run your own taxi firm, getting the right type of taxi insurance is extremely important. Below is a guide to help you out.
How to get quotes
You can get taxi insurance quotes very easily now using any insurance comparison service. The way these services work is by letting you obtain quotes from several different insurance providers by filling in a quote form. This helps you save time and potentially a good deal of money too.
Getting taxi insurance quotes online also makes it very easy to get the exact level of cover you want. Adding and removing cover options is usually as simple as checking or unchecking a box, whether you’re looking for public hire insurance or Uber insurance.
Public and private hire
- Private hire - Private hire taxi insurance is for minicabs, Uber drivers or basically any type of taxi that needs to be pre-booked. Private hire taxis cannot display a ‘taxi’ sign on the vehicle either.
- Public hire - Public hire taxis can be hailed from the street and will nearly always have a ‘taxi’ sign somewhere on the cab. London black cabs are an example of public hire taxis.
- Cover for owner drivers - If you’re an owner driver then you’ll want to get a taxi insurance policy to cover you for all the risks you face on the roads. You can choose the level of cover you want from third party only all the way up to fully comprehensive.
- Cover for taxi firms - If you own a taxi firm and want to insure your own vehicles then you’ll want to get a taxi fleet insurance policy. This will enable you to insure all your vehicles together on the same policy. You can insure multiple vehicle types too, so if you have a mix of regular cars and minibuses then you still cover them together.
- Liability claims – Liability claims are certainly a risk factor, especially for taxi firms. Therefore getting cover for liability claims included in a taxi insurance policy is certainly a good idea.
- Breakdowns - If you want to get cover for breakdown assistance included in your policy then you’re usually able to do this with the majority of insurance providers.